While speaking with MTVNews after the Marvel Studios panel at San Diego Comic-Con, Scarlett Johansson talked-up the idea of making sure that Natasha stays the character we’ve known over the last ten years.
JOHANSSON: “I want [Natasha] to be the same person that [she has] been throughout these ten years.”
Scarlett also revealed some of the films that may have inspired the new solo film, which includes Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Logan, and Harrison Ford’s The Fugitive.
JOHANSSON: “It’s pretty gritty, it’s kind of in its own genre. Some of the movies we talked about, we talked about The Fugitive, we talked about Logan, we talked about Terminator 2.”
These choices make a lot of sense as Nat is going on the run and the film will tackle the fallout from Captain America: Civil War (possibly from Captain America: The Winter Soldier as well). Along with Natasha seemingly project Yelena Belova from whatever the threat of the film will be.
Here are some other interesting highlights we’ve learned over various interviews from San Diego Comic-Con about Black Widow.
- The setting of the solo film takes place between Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War.
- Florence Pugh is confirmed as Yelena Belova aka Black Widow II.
- Rachel Weisz is playing the MCU version Iron Maiden and will be a fellow Black Widow.
- David Harbour is playing Red Guardian and has a complex history with Nat (in the comics, they were once husband and wife).
- O-T Fagbenle is playing former SHIELD Agent Rick Mason, a fixer that might have romantic intentions with Natasha.
- Anthony Masters aka Taskmaster is confirmed as one of the villains of the film.
- The Avengers won’t be in the film according to Scarlett.
- We will see multiple Black Widows in the film beyond the three we know already about.
- Scarlett Johansson and producers claim is has more fights than any other movie in the MCU.
Black Widow’s official release date has been set for May 1st, 2020 and they are still currently filming at Pinewood Studios UK.
SOURCE: MTV NEWS