The British Film Institute aka BFI (via KFTV) has announced that Robert Eggers’ follow up to The Witch and The Lighthouse will be shot at Belfast Harbour Studios in Belfast, County Antrim, Northern Ireland.
Robert’s third film is titled The Northman and will be a Viking revenge thriller set in Iceland during the 10th century.
It sounds a bit like Eggers will be taking cues from director Hrafn Gunnlaugsson, who directed a string of gritty Viking-era films shot on location in Iceland. Those titles were When The Raven Flies, In The Shadow of The Raven, and The White Viking.
Belfast is likely best known for Paint Hall/Titantic Studios where HBO’s Game of Thrones was shot for the past eight seasons.
Belfast Harbour Studios had been where the SyFy DC Comics series Krypton was shot before its cancellation.
Speaking of Game of Thrones, HN Entertainment has been able to confirm that art director Hauke Richter (Treadstone, Welcome To The Punch) will be working on The Northman after previously tackling multiple Game of Thrones episodes that aired between 2014-2019 and the prequel pilot that HBO didn’t pick up.
Eggers co-wrote the film with screenwriter/poet Sjon Sigurdsson.
New Regency hasn’t given the film an official release date.
Here’s a rundown of the cast of The Northman so far.
- Anya Taylor-Joy (The New Mutants, The Witch, Last Night In Soho)
- Nicole Kidman (The Others, Destroyer, Bombshell, Big Little Lies, Stoker)
- Alexander Skarsgard (Generation Kill, The Stand, The Little Drummer Girl)
- Bill Skarsgard (Atomic Blonde, Castle Rock, IT, IT: Chapter Two)
- Willem Dafoe (The Lighthouse, Nightmare Alley, John Wick)
- Claes Bang (Dracula, The Girl In The Spider’s Web, The Affair)
SOURCE: BRITISH FILM INSTITUTE