Writer/director Robert Eggers (The Witch, The Lighthouse) recently had an interview with Film Independent (via Indie Wire) where he revealed the massive scale of his upcoming film The Northman which was one week away from filming before the COVID-19 pandemic placed production in Belfast, Northern Ireland on hold.
It sounds like The Northman will indeed be much larger than anything we’ve seen before from Eggers.
EGGERS: “The scale is so huge and there are so many more locations and things that I couldn’t do everything or know every prop myself. That’s been a challenge with the new movie.”
“There’s many locations in the film, so we were constantly going on scouts to find places or reassess places that we have found and we’re building sets there.”
“We’re designing all these worlds, building these villages, we’re making thousands of costumes and props, training the horses the things they’ll need to do, designing the shots of the films. There’s a lot more storyboarding. Generally I only storyboard the scenes that have visual effects or animals and stunts, things where all the departments need to be on the same page for it to work out. But this movie there is rarely a scene that isn’t on a boat or doesn’t have a lot of extras. We’re storyboarding most of the film, which is taking a lot of time and we’re continuing to do that now on this hiatus.”
It’s unclear when production will resume but we’ll be excited when it’s ready to be released.
Here’s a rundown of the casting additions so far.
- Anya Taylor-Joy (The New Mutants, The Witch, Last Night In Soho)
- Nicole Kidman (The Others, Destroyer, Bombshell, Big Little Lies, Stoker)
- Alexander Skarsgard (Generation Kill, The Stand, The Little Drummer Girl)
- Bill Skarsgard (Atomic Blonde, Castle Rock, IT, IT: Chapter Two)
- Willem Dafoe (The Lighthouse, Nightmare Alley, John Wick)
- Claes Bang (Dracula, The Girl In The Spider’s Web, The Affair)