Writer/director Josh Boone had once suggested he wanted to make a trilogy of New Mutants films and has now revealed some of those plans to EntertainmentWeekly.
Boone laid out the characters that would have appeared in a second film including Antonio Banderas once being in talks to play a villain along with adding New Mutants members Karma and Warlock.
Josh mentioning suggesting the original plan was to have Banderas shoot a button scene to introduce him as the sequel’s big bad.
BOONE: “We had always planned to have a tag at the end of the movie that introduced the villain for the next movie. We even had an actor cast, but because of the merger and because Marvel owns X-Men now and is going to do their own thing, there was no reason to go shoot it.”
Here’s what Josh Boone says would have included in the sequel.
- The title for the sequel would have been New Mutants: Brazil, with the New Mutants travelling with Roberto to meet his estranged mother in Brazil.
- Antonio Banderas was in talks to play Emmanuel da Costa, an X-Men villain from The Hellfire Club and father of Henry Zaga’s Sunspot.
- Xi’an Coy Manh aka Karma would have been a villain but would have absorbed into the group.
- Technarchy alien character Warlock, who is member of the New Mutants team would have made his debut too.
- Josh Boone is hopeful they might make the sequel if the first movie makes a lot of money.
This would certainly debunk that old rumor that they were planning on adding Mister Sinister to the film.
New Mutants will be released on April 3rd.
Marvel Studios now controls the fate of a New Mutants sequel, Deadpool 3, and any other future X-Men universe film.
SOURCE: ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY