Netflix has announced the rest of the cast for their upcoming science fiction series Away which will star two-time Oscar-winner Hilary Swank and will be produced by Matt Reeves (The Batman, Dawn of The Planet of The Apes).
Here are the new additions to the cast and who they’ll be playing in the series as mentioned in a recent Netflix press release.
- Talitha Bateman (Love Simon, Annabelle: Creation) is ALEXIS LOGAN, Emma and Matt’s teenage daughter who must now come of age with her father facing life-changing health challenges and her mother in space.
- Ato Essandoh (Altered Carbon, Blue Bloods) is KWESI, is a British-Ghanaian botanist and the mission’s only rookie astronaut.
- Mark Ivanir (Homeland, Barry) is MISHA, a veteran Russian cosmonaut and the ship’s engineer.
- Ray Panthaki (Gangs of London, Marcella, Colette) is RAM, an Indian astronaut and the crew’s medic, co-pilot and second-in-command.
- Vivian Wu (Cathy Yan’s Dead Pigs, Rúyì Zhuàn) is LU, a Chinese taikonaut and the crew’s geologist and chemist.
The Last Samurai director Edward Zwick is attached to direct the first two episodes of the ten-episode season.
Away centers on Emma Green, an American astronaut who must leave her husband and teenage daughter behind to command an international space crew embarking upon a treacherous mission. It is a series about hope, humanity and how we need one another if we are to achieve impossible things.
HN Entertainment has learned from sources that the Netflix series has added director Jeffrey Reiner (The Affair, Fargo, Friday Night Lights) for an unknown amount of episodes and visual effects supervisor Victor Scalise (The Walking Dead).
Other production team members include production designer David Sandefur (Nightflyers) and art director Craig Humphries (Tully, Skyscraper).
We also previously revealed production will kick-off on August 26th in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and is expected to complete the shoot on February 5th.
Hilary Swank recently worked with Netflix on the dystopian sci-fi thriller I Am Mother.
The assumption is that the series will be ready to drop on Netflix in 2020.