Cinematographer Jarin Blaschke will be reuniting with director Robert Eggers for his upcoming Viking thriller The Northman, set during the 10th Century in Iceland.
Jarin recently revealing to HN Entertainment they’ve been in prep for ten weeks now.
BLASCHKE: “Rob says very little. It’s a bigger movie than the others. I can say it’s a Viking revenge movie and we are shooting in Europe. I think he feels a responsibility to do a trilogy. It’s dark and unusually violent.”
Robert and Jarin have previously worked together on The Witch, The Lighthouse, and a short titled Brothers.
He was recently nominated for Best Cinematography at the Oscars and BAFTAs for his work on The Lighthouse and earned the Spotlight Award from the American Society of Cinematographers.
To say we’re excited to see what they come up with tackling the period Viking film would be an understatement.
Filming was previously announced by the British Film Institute to be taking place at Belfast Harbour Studios in Belfast, County Antrim, Northern Ireland.
Eggers co-wrote the film with screenwriter/poet Sjon Sigurdsson.
Yesterday, we reported that Game of Thrones art director Hauke Richter would be working on the film as well. Ritcher most recently worked on the Jason Bourne series Treadstone and on episodes of Game of Thrones that aired between 2014-2019.
New Regency hasn’t given The Northman an official release date.
Here’s a rundown of the casting additions so far.
- Anya Taylor-Joy (The New Mutants, The Witch, Last Night In Soho)
- Nicole Kidman (The Others, Destroyer, Bombshell, Big Little Lies, Stoker)
- Alexander Skarsgard (Generation Kill, The Stand, The Little Drummer Girl)
- Bill Skarsgard (Atomic Blonde, Castle Rock, IT, IT: Chapter Two)
- Willem Dafoe (The Lighthouse, Nightmare Alley, John Wick)
- Claes Bang (Dracula, The Girl In The Spider’s Web, The Affair)